Property

Fireplace at Blue Haven Stables property destroys single rental unit

One occupant sustains minor burn; no animals injured; tack store and stables nonetheless enterprise as standard

TINA L. SCOTT
EDITOR

On Thursday, Jan. 13, 2022, at round 9:20 p.m., Lincoln County Dispatch obtained a report of a fireplace at N437 Blue Haven Lane within the City of Scott, on the Blue Haven Stables property. The farm there consists of a barn/stables, numerous outbuildings, and a tack store, together with six rental items, and an condominium the place homeowners, Wayne and Sharon Jahnke, reside, set on about 60 acres on the south facet of the street plus one other 50-60 acres on the north facet of the street.

The Merrill Fireplace Division (MFD) responded. “Upon arrival, crews had hearth popping out of home windows on one of many outbuildings which was an condominium,” a press launch from MFD Chief Josh Klug stated. This explicit constructing was central to most of the different buildings, so making certain the hearth didn’t unfold, along with placing it out, was essential.

There are two residences within the constructing that caught hearth, an higher unit and a decrease unit. The MFD experiences the hearth was confined to the one construction, and a member of the family confirmed the hearth was contained to the decrease unit. “The downstairs is completely burnt out. It’s terrible,” Sharon Jahnke stated. And important smoke injury to the higher unit displaced all of the constructing’s occupants.

“I’m simply glad Chris received out. He simply barely received out,” Sharon stated. Chris Jahnke, Sharon and Wayne’s son, was occupying the unit the place the hearth began. Sharon, Wayne, and Chris had all come dwelling early from taking part in playing cards, round 8:30 p.m.

“If we had come dwelling any later than that …” Sharon feared the end result may have been worse for the upstairs occupants. The three renters who lived within the higher condominium had been all dwelling, she stated.

Chris was in his condominium, simply sitting on the sofa, when he smelled smoke, his mom stated. He went to research. “Chris received up, noticed flames within the rest room, and tried to place it out with a fireplace extinguisher,” Sharon stated.

The flames had been originating from a heating fan within the rest room, she stated. “Chris received a small burn on his hand making an attempt to place the hearth out, however then it went so quick that the smoke took over. He couldn’t even see.”

He ran exterior barefoot in simply pants and a jacket and ran upstairs to get the upstairs tenants out, she stated.
“Then Chris got here working over and stated, ‘Name 911 – the place is on hearth!’” Sharon stated.

“It didn’t take lengthy and the condominium was all flames. From our porch, which is 60 ft, you couldn’t see something however smoke. Then rapidly the home windows busted out after which the flames began in,” she stated.
Purposeful hearth extinguishers could make the distinction
Melissa Jahnke, Wayne and Sharon’s daughter-in-law, stated the hearth extinguisher her brother-in-law, Chris, tried to make use of was defective. “By the point he discovered the opposite one, it [the fire] was too large,” she stated. “One factor that’s HUGE to convey to everybody … Fireplace extinguishers,” Melissa stated. A useful, working hearth extinguisher might need saved the lack of the constructing and 4 tenants would possibly nonetheless be of their houses. Because it stands, Chris misplaced every little thing within the hearth and is now staying along with his son close by. And the three occupants who rented the higher unit are staying in an area motel.

Whereas Sharon and Wayne have insurance coverage on the constructing itself, not one of the occupants had renter’s insurance coverage to assist them substitute all of the belongings they misplaced within the hearth.

Quick response from many helped restrict the injury
The fireplace continues to be beneath investigation, however not suspicious in nature, in line with the MFD. The Jahnkes are ready for his or her insurance coverage adjuster to examine the constructing however anticipate that the constructing will probably be a complete loss. Nonetheless, as a result of quick response from many items, solely the one condominium constructing was broken.

Pine River, Corning, and Russell Fireplace Departments all helped on the scene, MFD stated of their launch, and Wisconsin Public Service, Tomahawk EMS, and Lincoln County Sheriff’s Division additionally assisted.

“There have been so many hearth vehicles as a result of they didn’t know if it [the fire] may prolong to the barn, or different buildings. This condominium was centered proper in the course of the opposite buildings,” Sharon stated.

Tack store nonetheless open for enterprise
Wayne Jahnke is grateful and grateful nobody was critically injured and that the hearth was restricted to the one constructing. “There are two different condominium buildings that had been by no means touched, the barn was by no means touched, the horses had been by no means in jeopardy, no animals had been injured, and everyone received out of the condominium okay, except the minor burn on Chris’s hand,” he stated.

The decrease condominium “was utterly demolished, completely broken” and “the opposite all smoke broken,” however the tack store and he and Sharon’s dwelling additionally escaped injury. There may be a lot to be pleased about.

As for Blue Haven Stables’ enterprise, “We’re open for enterprise,” Wayne stated. “The tack store is open and stuffed with stock.”
Now we have provide (1000’s of pairs) of males’s and ladies’s boots, hats, denims, shirts and blouses, jewellery, and tack and saddles, he stated.

Whereas Blue Haven doesn’t provide path rides within the winter, they are going to be open for rides once more in Could identical to at all times, he added.

Related posts

County strikes to purchase property for brand spanking new jail

admin

Hill Nation property homes unique animals, lakefront sights

admin

PROPERTY SALES | Group Notes

admin