Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve. This text is an on-site model of our FirstFT e-newsletter. Signal as much as our Asia, Europe/Africa or Americas version to get it despatched straight to your inbox each weekday morning
How effectively did you retain up with the information this week? Take our quiz.
Non-public fairness teams this yr struck $42bn value of offers through which they bought portfolio corporations to their very own funds, a pointy improve over 2020 in a once-niche kind of transaction that may generate good-looking payouts to executives.
The offers, generally known as “continuation fund” gross sales, contain a buyout group promoting an organization it has owned for a number of years to a brand new fund it has extra just lately raised. That permits it to return money to earlier traders inside the agreed timeframe, whereas maintaining maintain of an organization that has potential to develop or is proving tough to promote.
Many buyout teams turned to such offers for the primary time within the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, when a freeze in dealmaking and inventory market listings left them with few exit routes.
Thanks for studying FirstFT Europe/Africa. We’re taking a brief Christmas break and might be again in your inboxes on Tuesday, December 28. Right here’s the remainder of at present’s information — Jennifer
5 extra tales within the information
1. Vladimir Putin: US and Russia to carry talks over Ukraine The Russian president mentioned each side would meet in January in Geneva for talks over Ukraine, which he mentioned have been important to guard Moscow from what he claimed have been existential threats from Nato. The disaster has challenged US president Joe Biden’s vow to confront autocrats resembling Putin.
Associated learn: France, in addition to 13 different European international locations and Canada denounced “the deployment of mercenary troops” linked to Russia within the west African nation of Mali as the federal government there battles Islamist militants.
2. Ex-TSB chair to supervise shake-up of NHS England Richard Meddings, who overhauled TSB’s IT methods and improved its buyer relations, has been picked to supervise a shake-up of the NHS. “We predict that bringing on this outsider’s eye will assist ship the accountability that’s wanted as we drive by means of reforms,” mentioned a colleague of the UK well being secretary.
3. Third Level fund chair quits after ‘private threats’ Steve Bates, a former US fairness analyst and JPMorgan government who had been Third Level’s chair since 2019, has stepped down after he obtained “private threats” amid an escalating struggle with insurgent traders.
4. Europe’s largest vitality customers warn on hovering prices Dunkirk’s Alvance, the continent’s largest producer of aluminium, has diminished output by near 4 per cent since early December, as outages at nuclear energy vegetation sparked increased electrical energy costs in France.
5. Low provide and excessive demand boosts champagne costs Classic champagnes resembling Dom Pérignon 2008 and Krug 2000 have popped in value this yr, outperforming international shares, as rich traders hunt for returns in beforehand ignored asset courses.
Folks contaminated with the Omicron coronavirus variant have been far much less more likely to be admitted to hospital than these with Delta, in line with a research by England’s public well being physique.
A drop in restaurant bookings and occasional store spending in the UK has fuelled expectations that decrease shopper spending will drive an financial contraction in December and January.
A 3rd dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine will increase antibody ranges towards Omicron far lower than a BioNTech/Pfizer booster, a research has proven.
Omicron has introduced the sluggish reopening of Asia to a juddering halt as governments rush to reimpose journey restrictions.
US president Joe Biden has acknowledged that he ought to have pushed for a much bigger nationwide programme to distribute free fast Covid-19 checks earlier.
US shares rose to a record-high shut yesterday, marking the third consecutive advance, as promising financial information helped offset fears surrounding Omicron.
Greater than half of the 31 reveals on Broadway have needed to name off a efficiency in December owing to coronavirus.
The day forward
Libya election postponed Libyans have been meant to go to the polls however after the Excessive Nationwide Electoral Fee ordered a dissolution of the electoral committees nationwide with out naming a last checklist of candidates, the fee mentioned it was “unattainable” to carry the vote. The election board has proposed January 24 as the brand new date for the ballot. (Al Jazeera)
Christmas Eve Pope Francis will have fun midnight mass at St Peter’s Basilica. Midnight mass may also be celebrated on the web site of Jesus’s delivery, on the Church of the Nativity on Manger Sq. within the West Financial institution city of Bethlehem.
What else we’re studying
Brexit one yr on: the impression on the UK economic system The general impact of the choice to go away the EU on folks’s residing requirements seems to be detrimental however unsure, in line with economists. The talk has hardly ever been about whether or not there can be successful to development and residing requirements, however somewhat how large successful.
The place have climate data been damaged this yr? This yr has been progressively hotter than regular, with international temperatures inching increased than the typical with every passing month. The FT is monitoring excessive local weather occasions from all over the world. Discover our interactive tracker.
How unhealthy was 2021? Chief international affairs columnist Gideon Rachman is joined by colleagues Martin Wolf and Gillian Tett to look again at a yr bookended with Donald Trump’s chaotic exit from the White Home and Vladimir Putin’s threats towards Ukraine, with the ever-present inflation raging all through.
Afghan feminine footballers get pleasure from new lease of life in England After going through rocket blasts and firefights, a number of the most proficient feminine gamers escaped the Taliban and are discovering new beginnings in England’s north, because of supporters together with Leeds United Soccer Membership.
What occurred to festive TV? The exertion of Christmas lunch normally offers solution to the quiet hubbub of primetime comedy. However the panorama has modified because the Seventies. Henry Mance seems again on the golden age of Christmas tv and considers what would possibly take its place.
Food and drinks
“We all the time drink good wine at Christmas, however the one time we’ve opened a very, actually good [read: seriously expensive] bottle was final yr, when social gatherings have been restricted to a single family and, for the primary time ever, it was simply us two,” writes Jancis Robinson on one of the best time to drink dear wine.
Thanks for studying and bear in mind you may add FirstFT to myFT. Ship your suggestions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Beneficial newsletters for you
Britain after Brexit — Hold updated with the most recent developments because the UK economic system adjusts to life exterior the EU. Enroll right here
The Week Forward — Begin each week with a preview of what’s on the agenda. Enroll right here