Right here’s what is going on in and affecting South Africa as we speak:
Coronavirus: World Covid-19 infections have hit 106.7 million confirmed, with the demise toll reaching 2.32 million. In South Africa, there have been 2,435 new circumstances, taking the whole reported to 1,476,135. Deaths have reached 46,290 (a day by day improve of 110), whereas recoveries have climbed to 1,360,204, leaving the nation with a steadiness of 69,641 lively circumstances.
- Plan B: The federal government has needed to shift to Plan B on its Covid vaccine rollout, because the distribution of the AstraZeneca doses was placed on maintain over issues about its efficacy in opposition to the native variant of the virus. Additional complicating issues is that the vaccines acquired in South Africa expire in April – a couple of months sooner than anticipated. Authorities stated the plan has now shifted to getting the Johnson & Johnson or Pfizer vaccines to well being staff. [Daily Maverick]
- Déjà vu: South Africa’s faculties are set to open in every week’s time, and are dealing with the identical issues they confronted final 12 months once they had been making an attempt to re-open for the primary time. Faculties are reporting that they aren’t but able to open – nonetheless, politicians are pushing the other message. Final time, faculties had been compelled to search out cash to fund their very own PPE procurement, and in lots of provinces faculty openings needed to be delayed. This time round, analysts predict a lot of the identical because the goal date of 15 February approaches. [Mail & Guardian]
- Trigger and impact: Authorities have recorded a spike in accidents and home violence circumstances after the nationwide ban on the sale of alcohol was lifted final week – with medical specialists anticipating to see a rise within the variety of Covid-19 circumstances within the coming weeks as effectively, as South Africans disregard laws in opposition to social gatherings. The variety of alcohol-related traumas has carefully tracked the restrictions on alcohol gross sales within the nation, with Cogta minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma stating in courtroom paperwork that additional bans are usually not out of the query. [TimesLive]
- State seize hyperlinks: A brand new investigation by amaBhungane has discovered questionable ties between Nedbank and state-captured-linked Regiments Capital, referring to contracts and hundreds of thousands of rands in commissions paid pushing Nedbank accounts to state-owned firms. Wherever investigators seemed in Regiments’ enterprise operations, Nedbank was shut behind providing merchandise reminiscent of loans and complex monetary companies in its wake. The financial institution has denied any illegal exercise. [amaBhungane]
- Markets: After struggling to interrupt beneath R14.90 tot he greenback final week, the rand discovered a distinct momentum in the course of the US session on Friday. It’s a quiet day on the info entrance with solely EU client confidence due as we speak. The rand begins the week on regular floor at R14.87 to the greenback, R17,90 to the euro and R20.42 to the pound. Commentary by Peregrine Treasury Options. [XE]